Tuesday 3 January 2017

ABCWednesday, Z for Zadkine

Thanks to mrs. Nesbitt for this interesting meme that we started 10 years ago.I am very grateful for being able to participate in ABC on Wednesday. I learned a lot by reading your posts. We have now arrived at Z, which I dedicate at the sculptor Zadkine. And I best do that by what Wikipedia me teaches.




The Rotterdammers tend to give nicknames to sculptures.This statue is named "John Gap".

Ossip Zadkine (1890-1967)

Russian sculptor, painter and graphic artist, Zadkine settled in Paris in 1910 and became an avant garde artist and a major figure in the Ecole de Paris. Although his sculpture was influenced by both Auguste Rodin (1840-1917) as well as Cubism and its sister movement of modern art, Futurism, his main concern was with dramatically expressive shapes and forms: notably his characteristic use of concave contours and hollows.

His best-known work is his public monument The Destroyed City (1953, Rotterdam city centre), an expressionist statue widely regarded as one of the masterpieces of modern semi-abstract sculpture. Zadkine created this statue in honour of the citizens of Rotterdam, who had seen their city bombed in the first days of May 1940. We see it as a scream to Heaven

14 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Yeah, I've screamed to the heavens of late.

ROG, ABCW

photowannabe said...

A powerful statue with a very emotional title.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

MelodyK said...

Ik ken de naam maar daar houdt t dan ook mee op ;-)
Het beeld in wel heel intrigerend moet ik zeggen.... mooi kan ik het evengoed niet noemen ;-)

Pas op jezelf, heb en hou het goed!!

Photo Cache said...

I like this sculpture!

Happy New Year!

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Anonymous said...

Last time we were in Rotterdam, we were looking with our friends for Zadkine's sculpture, but couldn't find it!I love his bold shapes here! The latest situation with Israel is making me scream to heaven:) All the best to you for this New Year, Wil!

Hildred said...

Well, this is different, Wil. I am ambivalent..it doesn't appeal to me at first sight but perhaps when it becomes more familiar?

carol l mckenna said...

What a beautiful sculptor and photos of the sculptures ~ for Z ~very informative too.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year ~ ^_^

Leslie: said...

Wow! LOVE this post. I'd never heard of him or the statue honouring citizens of Rotterdam! That is one powerful piece of art. Thanks for sharing, Wil.

Leslie
abcw team

Vicki Lane said...

Powerful, indeed!

Ann said...

Well I kinda see where John Gap comes from--very different sculpture.
Ann

Miss_Yves said...

Meilleurs voeux pour 2017 !
J'aime ce sculpteur, dont l'oeuvre est humaniste et forte.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I am not into sculpture. John Gap must be very good.

Vagabonde said...

Zadkine was such a great artist and produced so much – in addition to sculptures he also did thousands of drawings, water color paintings, tapestries and he also wrote poems to go along his sculptures. What a prodigious output. There is a museum in Paris called Le Musée Zadkine I think in the 6th Quarter.

Marja said...

I know the sculpture but didn't know it was made by a Russian artist