Tuesday 9 December 2014

ABC Wednesday, V for Viking Law

This last summer I was again in beautiful Norway. I read several books about the Vikings, because they were the guys who sailed all over the northern hemisphere and invaded our countries. There were at the time no human rights treaties and the actions of the Vikings were quite understandable if you read their laws, especially their first law: Be Brave and Aggressive!

I sincerely believe that they were law-abiding people! They were obedient to these rules! I, personally like the fourth law!

 They left their traces  like the jurisdiction in the UK! They also had a judge and jury in court like in Britain and the USA.

Their alphabet however is very complicated. See for your self and try to write a comment with  these letters.

 We thank Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC, and we must thank Roger too for the weekly job to find  ten bloggers for each of the ABC Team members,  to visit and to read their posts. For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar . This week we are looking for words    beginning with V. 


14 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a great, fascinating post for the day, Wil!! I really enjoyed it!! But I am so glad I don't have to cope with the Viking alphabet!!!
Thanks for sharing! Hope your new week is off to a great start!!

Vagabonde said...

La Norvège – un pays splendide et aussi un pays ou il fait bon vivre. Mais l'alphabet n'est pas facile...

Hazel said...

I love the X; it looks like a snowflake. So that's how their laws look like in the past. Good to know. History always fascinates me. During my first time in Europe (UK), I stayed at a hotel called The Viking.

Rajesh said...

Great set of laws. I like them. Thanks for sharing.

Trubes said...

I really know little or nothing about the Vikings except tha,t they traversed the seas in long boats, wore funny helmets with horns and sounded a horn shaped bugle, to announce their arrival when they were about ransack British villages.
Best wishes,

Di x ABCW team x

Hildred said...

A great post, Wil - they were (are ) a well organized nation.

Jane Hards Photography said...

My island has many Norse and Viking links, so for me very interesting. We still have a few words used on island of Norse descent.

Roger Owen Green said...

Just don't see you as a VIKING!

ROG, ABCW

Meoww said...

Really enjoyed reading the rules. Very interesting, though all i know about Vikings is from How to train your dragon and Asterix and the vikings. Good to know about runes as well.

lotusleaf said...

Very versatile people, the Vikings!

Anita Sabat said...

Love watching Viking movies!
Their rules are so fascinating! Thanks for the info, Wil :)
Have a great week!

Shady Gardener said...

Hello Reader Wil, I would if I could!!! (My keyboard is not cooperating!) ;-)

Great post. I am going to write you a note, though. lol SG

Powell River Books said...

My grandmother was born in Norway, so I guess I have a bit of Viking blood in me. Last summer we went to the Viking ruins on the north coast of Newfoundland. It was a moving experience for me. Visiting Norway must be very exciting. That's the only place in Europe I would like to see. - Margy

Unknown said...

Er zijn tal van werelden, zowel oud als nieuw, nog te ontdekken....