Answers to the ten questions of the quiz about the Netherlands.I thank everybody who tried to do this quiz. There are no winners or losers. Although two of the nine participants had all answers correct. Some of you have already given me their addresses so that I can send a giveaway to any one of the participants. Can I have the other addresses as well?
1. Amsterdam is the largest city and the capital of the Netherlands. The current position of Amsterdam as capital city of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is governed by the constitution of 24 August 1815 and its successors.
2. The government has its seat in the Hague. The next photo shows a part of the Houses of Parliament.
3. The Dutch speak Dutch. It's the official language we learn at home and at school. Only the Friesians in Friesland speak Friesian, but they still have to learn Dutch and use it in official legal matters. The Friesian language is different from Dutch.
4. Well we have been a kingdom since 1806 when Napoleon made his brother Louis king of the Netherlands. When Napoleon was defeated in 1815 we got a Dutch king of the House of Orange and we remained a kingdom till today. So far we had three kings and since 1880 three queens. Queen Beatrix is the ruling queen of today.
5. So that answers this question: the Queen is officially the head of state.
6. We have 12 provinces.
7. Rotterdam is the most important harbour and it was even the largest harbour in the world right after the war.
8. We have 16,750,000 inhabitants
9. The Netherlands are a bit larger than Belgium, and Luxembourg is by far the smallest.
10.Gouda produces cheese and candles. That was a difficult one, and only a few had this right.
Every second Tuesday in December the citycentre is lit by candlelight only.