Friday 11 November 2011

11-11-2011 Today Remembrance Day


Today 93 years ago the peace treaty with Germany was signed.Wikipedia says: "Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day, Armistice Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty. This day, or alternative dates, are also recognized as special days for war remembrances in many non-Commonwealth countries. Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918; hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice ("at the 11th hour" refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 a.m)



Weekend Reflections was started on 27 September 2009, by James. You can join this meme at some time during the weekend. Just post your photo and go to James to tell him that you are on, or click on the logo in the sidebar.This meme is created for any type of reflection.

In the Netherlands we have a similar celebration on the 4th May and 5th May is our Liberation Day.Let's always remember these brave people who died for our freedom.

11 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I went to our local war memorial Wil - just as you have great cause to remember such time, I need to remember by first husband and my brother, who was at Dunkirk but escaped and lived to a good age. After our two minutes silence, the words on your memorial were read out by our standard bearer. All very moving.

Cloudia said...

In a few minutes f-22 Raptors will do a fly over ceremony above Punchbowl Nat'l Cemetery here in Honolulu.

Australia's Prime Minister will also be there. Allies.


Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I guess your own war days becomes very real on this day,

Hildred said...

Such poignant words Wil. Charles read the Names of the Fallen at the Cenotaph today, but in our hearts are inscribed the names of his two brothers who gave their all.

Kay said...

I've learned something from you. I've seen Veterans pass out poppies and I didn't truly understand why. This is definitely a day to give homage to those brave men and women who fought to protect and liberate everyone.

Marja said...

Here in Nz we remember the armed forces mainly on Anzac day and everyone wears a poppy as the soldiers lay in the poppy fields of gallipoli when they lost their lives

Arkansas Patti said...

I am amazed how many different countries honor their veterans on the same day. I like that.

Red Nomad OZ said...

And in Australia we also have Remembrance Day, also ANZAC day to commemorate Aus/New Zealand troops. These sad days inspire me to live my life so as not to make their sacrifice pointless.

Louis la Vache said...

Excellent, Wil! A fine remembrance.


Veterans Day.

genie said...

I am so happy that someone else posted about WWI. I devoted mine for Weekend Reflections to my to my daddy who was in France. It distresses me so that people no longer talk of this war but all of the wars after it. That war changed my daddy’s like forever and in turn my life was changed. Going to Ypres and seeing the fields and the cemeteries with all of the fallen is a picture I will never be able to get out of my mind. My week over there will be with me til I die. genie

A Colorful World said...

Lovely and informative post on Remembrance Day, Wil. Thank you. And thank you for your comment on my blogs! I am thrilled to learn you also read Desiree! I would so love to visit Europe, and the Netherlands would be a high point I am sure! Love your bridges post too, and the header picture!