Sunday 10 April 2011

Sunday Bridges, Netherlands, Gouda IV

From 9 April till 19 April I will take a break and I 'll answer comments lateron. My entries will appear on my blog for they are all scheduled.

 
Posted by Picasa


There are so many little bridges in Gouda and they all are revealing lovely corners of the ancient city of Gouda. So here's another corner, near the cathedral this time! The cathedral is called the St.Janskerk.
The Sint Janskerk in Gouda, the Netherlands, is a large Gothic church, known especially for its stained glass windows, for which it has been placed on the UNESCO list of Dutch monuments.
The church is dedicated to John the Baptist, the patron saint of Gouda, and was built during the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1552 a large part of the church burned, including the archives. Around 1350 a tower was built (only the lower part remains). In 1485 the foundation was built for the present-day choir. This expansion made the church the longest in the Netherlands, with a length of 123 meters.

Thanks to Louis we can participate in this meme!

For more bridges go to Sunday Bridges

6 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

that's a lovely bridge, I also like the arched windows

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am enjoying the pictures of Gouda Wil, it is making me wish to visit there.

Arkansas Patti said...

I can't imagine opening my door to my porch being in the water. Gouda is a very interesting and lovely town.

Vagabonde said...

I remember Gouda but not all these little bridges. I guess I only was interested in the cheese (lol.) So thank you for showing these charming bridges.

Anonymous said...

Oh i so do like gothic architecture.
Especially the big churches

George said...

Thanks for this beautiful picture and the interesting historical information.