Saturday, 25 August 2007
Kasteel Huis Bergh
Bergh castle used to be the ancestral home of the lords and later counts Van den Bergh, who played a leading role in the Eighty Years'War( 1568-1648), when the Prince of Orange liberated us from King Philip II of Spain. However the count of Van den Bergh shifted his support from the Prince of Orange to the Spanish king.
In the 18th century the castle passed into the hands of the south German aristocratic family Von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. In 1912 Bergh Castle was acquired by Mr.J.H.Heek PhD, an industrialist, who restored the castle and collected the art which is now to be seen in the building.