Monday 17 April 2017

Our World Tuesday, ABC Wednesday, O for Opening

    APRIL

 The name of this month is derived
from the Greek word for "opening". In many European countries the first of April is observed as a custom for which no satisfactory origin has been assigned. Ignorant and unsuspecting persons are sent on bootless errands, which is supposed to be great  great fun. These people are called "April Fools".
Therefore April 1 is called "April Fools'Day."

All day I have been looking out of my windows and enjoyed the blooming  Japanese cherry-tree and Crab-apple.

In the garden there are daffodils, tulips, crocuses. The yellow forsythia was so beautiful and full of bloom, but now it's losing its flowers.

Daffodils


crocuses


Forsythia


Japanese cherry-tree

                                                                      

Crab-tree




                               I don't know the name of this shrub. Is there anybody who does?  


Welcome to Our World Tuesday! This meme continues in memory of the work of Klaus Peter, whose "that's My World" brought people together from around the world every Monday to share the wonders therein--big and small.Please click on our  logo for "Our World Tuesday" in the sidebar.


With thanks to Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC.For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar. This week we are looking for words beginning with O.


18 comments:

Cloudia said...

Bless You Wil

Lea said...

Beautiful!
Hope you have a wonderful week!

Gattina said...

Beautiful flowers ! imagine I have already lillies of the valley, they are supposed to bloom end April for the first of May. Yes it was a real pity that the weather was so cold and windy at the sea !

Leslie: said...

We are still having some not so normal weather here but Easter weekend was lovely. The daffodils are finally out, but we didn't see many crocuses - I think they all drowned in the rain. The Japanese cherry trees are in bloom and other trees but we're in for even more rain! So unusual for this time of year, but then we had horrid winter, too!

Leslie
abcw team

Anonymous said...

nice flowers

MelodyK said...

Wat een prachtige en kleurrijke collage Wil en bovenal wat fijn je terug te zien !

Hoop dat alles goed met je gaat, lieve groet, Melody

Roger Owen Green said...

GORGEOUS indeed!

ROG, ABCW

Kay said...

Your spring photos are gorgeous, Wil. I didn't know that's why it's called April Fool's. This kind of ties with my blog post today which was a tragedy on April 1st, 1946.

I wish I could be on the mainland right now enjoying the spring beauty with my children.

photowannabe said...

The Opening of all the Spring flowers is just beautiful.
I didn't know that April meant opening. It's so interesting to learn how certain words come into being.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful Spring days Wil --- how I love these flowers. Thank you for the smiles.

Hildred said...

Such beautiful springtime pictures, Wil, - we are just beginning our blossom time, - today the apricots all burst into bloom.

Trubes said...

Hello dear Wil,
It's good to see you on ABCW again, with such a lovely collection of
beautiful Spring flowers, such a optimistic time of year and anticipation
of a warm and sunny Summer.
I hope your daughter is doing well with her treatment and it can be obliterated,
such a worry for you and being so far away.
I wonder if you can go and visit her soon? Although our three daughters are in their 40's
I still see them as our children and even though our eldest grandaughter has just entered her teens. When our daughter Kirsten told us she was pregnant I burst into tears...my first baby
having her first baby, such an emotional time, When Molly was born Ian cried...Soppy lot we are!
Look after yourself and my thoughts and prayer for your dear daughter,
Love Di,
ABCW team. xxx.

Anita Sabat said...

A grand & colourful opening :) Great pics.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful! Are these all in your yard? Now the drought is over in California this winter is still hanging on, especially at 300 feet (last week, snow decided to fall!). And all the little streams at the bottom of the hills are still there. Normally they would have dried up by now. So, it's this winter not that much different than weather in Holland! (we speak with our son in the Hague almost every week at Skype)
Your comment on FB was "veel betekenend." Hope there are people around you who can help, if you need it? Since I started the meme "All Seasons" last year in February (it is fun to do, but my time has to comment on people's blogs has greatly shrunk).

betty-NZ said...

These are stunning spring blooms! I'm so jealous as I am going into winter soon!!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like knowing that April means Opening. Something very soothing about that. Thanks for sharing all the delightful flowers opening around you.

Anita Sabat said...

Your garden has such pretty flowers! Full marks to the gardener!
I don't join in April Fools celebration as I don't like to target unsuspecting people & 'fool' them& what's more derive fun out of it.
We celebrate April 1st as Utkala Dibasa- it was the day when the state of Odisha was formed in India.
Have a great week!

Grace Philemon said...

So beautiful! Thus made my day