Monday 4 July 2016

Our World Tuesday, ABC Wednesday, Z instead of S




Anyone who wants to learn Dutch and wants to find Dutch words starting with Z, can use a lot of English words starting with S. If you want to translate Dutch sentences with  Z-words  into English, you can start to replace them by the same words or almost the same words with initial S.


Please translate this into English ( the English sentence structure is slightly different from the Dutch sentence structure)

 


Ik zie de zon in de zee zinken.( ik=I)

I.........the......in the......  ....

               





Difficult? Well try this :Match the English and Dutch words.


ik  zie (verb: zien)
zee
zon
ik   zink( verb: zinken)
zand
ik  zwem( verb: zwemmen)
Zeeland
zigzag
zombie
zone
zeventien
zebra

===========================================================
English words:

seventeen
sand
I  see
zone
I  sink
zombie
sea
zigzag
sun
I swim
Zealand
zebra

You see some words are even spelled the same way.

In Dutch there are more words with initial Z than in English, therefore this is an extremely difficult letter for an ABC post!


With thanks to Denise Nesbitt, who created the ABC meme.For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar . This week we are looking for words beginning with Z and then we will have finished round 18.


Welcome to Our World Tuesday! "that's My World" brought people together from around the world every Monday to share the wonders therein--big and small.Please click on our  logo for "Our World Tuesday" in the sidebar. Thank you Team of O. W. T.!


20 comments:

Fun60 said...

How interesting to learn about your language and the similarities to mine.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, that was fun! Great post and a beautiful scene and sky. Enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Fun60 said...

Thanks for your comment. Does it say: I see the sun sink into the sea

Marja said...

haha zeiden ze bij ons thuis ook altijd, maar dan "ik heb de zon in de zee zien zakken"
You are a real teacher in every word and deed

carol l mckenna said...

Fun post and lovely photo ~

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

MelodyK said...

Zullen wij samen les geve n ;-)

Trubes said...

That was a fun post Wil I do enjoy your writing,
Z is a difficult letter to deal with so well done.

ZINGY and ZESTFUL.. must ZIP off now....

Best wishes,
Di,
ABCW team.

Photo Cache said...

Very interesting language. I find that I don't have the ear for language, pity really.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

photowannabe said...

Impressive and such an interesting language.
I really wish I could speak another language beyond high school Spanish.

Joy said...

Yes your Z words are very useful I took advantage a couple of years ago for an ABC Wednesday round as I had a photo of a Belgium Zeescout hut sign and boats so could also squeeze in a zeilen and zeil to up the z count. I'm shameless when desperate for one of the trickier letters of the alphabet:)

Hildred said...

Wil, I didn't realize how transfering a z to an s could make reading the Dutch language so easy to read. Thank you, - nice post!

Roger Owen Green said...

What a cute song!

ROG, ABCW

Lady Fi said...

That is a lovely sky shot.

Lea said...

Always interesting to learn about another language
Hope you are having a great week!
Lea

Ann said...

I learned here today, interesting how the z is an s.
Ann

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I see the sun in the sunken sea? Very interesting post!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh my goodness, Wil, your Dutch lesson sure scrambled my brain, but it's great to see you are still blogging. I wasn't well for a while and it took me a long time to get back to it. I'm still not blogging every day, but once or twice a week will have to suffice until my brain comes back.
Hugs from here,
Kay

TheChieftess said...

I cheated! Google translate did the job for me!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was fun -- so much fun!!! I always learn something from your posts and now I can speak a little Dutch (haha). It was an easy lesson (especially translating zebra ;>))) -- I realize that I've seen a lot of Z words on blogs from others in your country who don't write in English. Of course I use Google translate in those cases, but now I will look to see how much I can figure out first. I wish I had learned more languages when I was younger. We are terribly spoiled over here -- that's not a good thing, but it is too late for me to learn now I am afraid.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was fun -- so much fun!!! I always learn something from your posts and now I can speak a little Dutch (haha). It was an easy lesson (especially translating zebra ;>))) -- I realize that I've seen a lot of Z words on blogs from others in your country who don't write in English. Of course I use Google translate in those cases, but now I will look to see how much I can figure out first. I wish I had learned more languages when I was younger. We are terribly spoiled over here -- that's not a good thing, but it is too late for me to learn now I am afraid.