Tuesday 3 May 2016

ABC Wednesday, Q for Qantas,

This is an old post, but I have been very busy lately, so I try to find suitable stories from my previous entries.


The first time we went to Australia was in June 1996 for the wedding of my second daughter. We flew with Qantas from London Heathrow to Singapore and after a stopover we continued the trip to Cairns, where my daughter met us at the airport. From Cairns we flew in a small aircraft to Cooktown.
Wikipedia says:"Qantas Airways Limited is the national airline of Australia. The name was originally "QANTAS", an acronym/initialism for "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services". Nicknamed "The Flying Kangaroo", the airline is based in Sydney. It is Australia's largest airline and is the world's second oldest airline. Qantas is headquartered in the Qantas Centre in the Mascot suburb of the City of Botany Bay, Sydney, New South Wales.

In 2009, Qantas was voted the sixth best airline in the world by research consultancy firm Skytrax, a drop from 2008 (third), 2007 (fifth), 2006 (second), and 2005 (second).


It certainly has the most elegant decoration, for the kangaroos on the tails of the planes are really beautiful.( in my opinion)


With thanks to Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC.For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar . This week we are looking for words beginning with Q.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor qantas airlines

14 comments:

photowannabe said...

I didn't know that Quantas was an acronym. Interesting.
I sure am glad we can go back into our archives when life gets so busy.
I've done that many times too.

Hildred said...

I hear nothing but good things about Qantas and would love to fly to Australia some day.....

Roger Owen Green said...

I've never flown a non-US carrier. I'd like to.

MelodyK said...

Vliegen..... wat zou ik dat graag weer eens doen.... ik zei het vanmiddag nog toen ik langs schiphol reed... naar en terug van de keukenhof...

Wel een leuke invulling voor de q... ik zou er niet opgekomen zijn.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

That is definitely a beautiful logo of the stylized kangaroo on the airplanes fin. Blessings!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful and colorful photos for Q and neat post for ABC ~

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

Anonymous said...

Quantas is a good choice for Q and for flying!

Shooting Parrots said...

It had never occured to me before to wonder how Quantas got its name - thank you!

Ann said...

Well I always thought it was the kangaroo's name. Very good to know the info.
Ann

Joy said...

They used to have a reputation for only employing the very best. I love the logo.

Gattina said...

That had been a long trip ! I guess it still is !

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I thought Qantas was the name of the kangaroo. LOL

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I always wondered what Qantas meant -- now I know it is an acronym.

Vagabonde said...

Cela a dû être un long voyage – pour aller jusqu’en Australie – mais pour le mariage de votre fille, cela a été une si heureuse occasion.