Tuesday 30 June 2015

ABC Wednesday, Y of Yggdrasil


I used all the words beginning with Y from my dictionary. I even used Dutch words beginning with IJ or ij. Now I am at the end of my imagination! Perhaps this?


                                Decoration on the outside of Rådhuset, City Hall,  in Oslo.

  Wikipedia says:

 

Yggdrasil: the tree of the Universe in Scandinavian mythology

Yggdrasil(/ˈɪɡdrəsɪl/ or /ˈɪɡdrəzɪl/; from Old Norse Yggdrasill, pronounced [ˈyɡːˌdrasilː]) is the tree of the Universe and center of the divine world in Scandinavian mythology. The roots of that big ash grow in the three underworlds: the world of the death, the world of the frost giants and the world of men. The branches spread over the world.The tree unites earth and heaven and the underworld.
If Ragnarok draws near, Yggdrasil will tremble and a man Lif and women Lifthrasir will survive the holocaust and flood. From these two people the earth will be repeopled and mankind will start a new cycle of time. Yggdrasil is the source of all new life.

In Norse mythology, Ragnarök is a series of future events, including a great battle foretold to ultimately result in the death of a number of major figures (including the gods Odin, Thor, Týr, Freyr, Heimdallr, and Loki), the occurrence of various natural disasters, and the subsequent submersion of the world in water.

  We thank Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC, and we must thank Roger too for the weekly job to find  ten bloggers for each of the ABC Team members  to visit and to read their posts. For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar . This week we are looking for words  beginning with Y.

12 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a great, interesting post for the day, Wil!! You are a clever lady!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope your week is off to a great start!! Enjoy!!

Cloudia said...

You ever enlighten and delight you wonderful Wil!


ALOHA
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love mythology, so I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Blessings! #7

Trubes said...

Hi Wil
Y isn't an easy letter to work with....I don't know what I shall do when
ABCW reaches it's natural end, I've really enjoyed participating in it.

Best wishes,
Di.
ABCW team.

Unknown said...

Ach joh dan herhaal je toch gewoon wel hetzelfde onderwerp maar dan met een andere invulling....dat kun jij wel!

Roger Owen Green said...

Very informative.
And I like the cartoon!

ROG, ABCW

Photo Cache said...

That works.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Anonymous said...

I guess one could compare it to the tree of life? Have a great week, Wil!

K V V S MURTHY said...

Tree of the world,a new and great thought.

Gattina said...

Now I have a knot in my tongue !

Gattina
ABC Wednesday
http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.com/

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

wonder how they came up with the name Yggdrasil, I can't pronounce or spell it.

Hildred said...


So many cultures and so many myths, and they all seem to have the same theme running through them. Very interesting Wil, - thanks for this, even though I can't pronounce it!