Tuesday 16 April 2013

ABC Wednesday, N for The Nut on Tasmania

To enlarge slide, please click on the rectangle in the right bottom corner.

The Nut, Stanley

The historic village of Stanley, in far north-west Tasmania, is nestled at the base of The Nut, a sheer-sided bluff - all that remains of an ancient volcanic plug.
  • Climb the remains of a giant volcanic plug.
  • Take a chairlift up The Nut.
  • The prettiest spot on the tip of the north-west coast.
My daughter, partner and three of the children walked to the top of the Nut. I took the chairlift, which gave me the opportunity to see the beautiful town of Stanley. I saw it well in spite of the fog.
While walking on the top my daughter suddenly stopped and pointed to some bushes. We saw an animal watching us. It was a little pademelon, a very small macropod, related to his bigger brother the kangaroo.


Some of us took the chairlift.
On top of the Nut
Back  from our walk on the Nut
With thanks to Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC and Roger, the captain of the ABC on Wednesday Team. For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar. This week we are looking for words beginning with N.
File:Thylogale billardierii.jpg Pademelon

24 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Doesn't look nutty to me; looks quite pleasant!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely to enjoy this great experience with family ...I always learn something new from your posts... today new place, new animal.

anthonynorth said...

That looks high. I'd have loved it up there in my younger days. Now I go dizzy on a second step :-)

Carver said...

Sounds like an interesting place. Great shot. I think I would have taken the chair lift too. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Marleen said...

Wat een prachtige omgeving daar. Volop genieten!

photowannabe said...

Yes, I think the chair lift and I would have become good friends.
What a fascinating place to visit.

Leslie: said...

I'd have joined you in the chairlift, Wil...stuNNing views and what a pretty little village area.

Leslie
abcw team

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Your trip sounds and looks wonderful, would have loved to see the pademelon!

carol l mckenna said...

Fascinating post and photos for N for ABC ^_^

Tasmania has always fascinated me .

Jama said...

Such a pleasant place to be!

LONDONLULU said...

I never thought I'd say it, but I would love a ride in that chair lift...oh that view. Nutty or no, it's just lovely:) (Beautiful blog banner too).

Hildred said...

Veryinteresting Wil, - I am not a great fan of chair lifts though, and I would never make it to the top walking, so thank you for all the great pictures. Very nice one of your granddaughter.

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Thanks for the photo - LOVE that Pademelon! Great your daughter spotted it.

Gattina said...

What nice places ! I have never seen or heard abut a Padamelon, I thought it was a little kangaroo!

Nanka said...

Nice place to walk and explore!!The chair lift should be fun!! Never heard of the Pademelon but he look quite cute and friendly!!
My N - Nightingale

Vagabonde said...

Quelle belle promenade! Je n’avais jamais vu un pademelon – il est mignon.

Ann said...

What an adorable little animal!!The top looks so pretty.
Ann

A Colorful World said...

Such a fascinating post, Wil! I loved the photos of the town and the view from the chairlift...and the little animal is so cute! Great N post!

LONDONLULU said...

Just want to quickly say (belated) congratulations on your grandchild's birth! May she grow in peace and love too.

MaiThreeBoyz said...

Beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

What fantastic views. It looks like a great place to visit.

Lise said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing! I've never heard of the Nut, nor a Pademelon!

Kay said...

Since I've never been to Tasmania, it sure was fun to see your photos. Thank you, Wil.

Chubskulit Rose said...

What a nice post of your critter shot.

Festival of Nation
Falling behind with letter N but trying to catch up before letter O rolls in.
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team