Tuesday 17 July 2012

ABC Wednesday, A for Australian

As I am now in Australia, I dedicate this post to this fabulous continent and its people!



This song was sung in 2000 at the opening of the Olympic Games in Sydney.
It was so impressive to see the original inhabitants of Australia singing this together
with the descendants of Europeans who came here after 1770 when James Cook arrived.

I came from the dream-time, from the dusty red soil plains
I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame.
I stood upon the rocky shore, I watched the tall ships come.
For forty thousand years I’ve been the first Australian.


We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian

I came upon the prison ship, bowed down by iron chains.
I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.
I’m a settler, I’m a farmer’s wife on a dry and barren run
A convict then a free man, I became Australian.


We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian

I’m the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road
I’m a child of the depression, I saw the good times come
I’m a bushy, I’m a battler, I am Australian


We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian

I’m a teller of stories, I’m a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira, I paint the ghostly gums
I am Clancy on his horse, I’m Ned Kelly on the run
I’m the one who waltzed Matilda, I am Australian


We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian

I’m the hot wind from the desert, I’m the black soil of the plains
I’m the mountains and the valleys, I’m the drought and flooding rains
I am the rock, I am the sky, the rivers when they run
The spirit of this great land, I am Australian


We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian
I am, you are, we are Australian.
We are one .. We are many .. We are Australian!

 With thanks to Denise Nesbitt, who created ABC and to Roger who took over from Denise. For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar . This week we are looking for words beginning with A.

26 comments:

Dina said...

A very inspiring video, Wil.
If our grandchildren have to be anywhere (besides home), Australia is their best choice.

Roger Owen Green said...

I do love this.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

What a magnificent visual, auditory, literary tribute!!! It is powerful and so beautifully intertwines Australia's 'colorful' origins.

Leslie: said...

Oh gosh, I do remember seeing this on TV - it's very stirring!

Leslie
abcw team

lotusleaf said...

Awesome audio!

Tina´s PicStory said...

nice film :)

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Hard to believe that the Olympics there was 12 years ago. Seems like yesterday, but I am feeling more addle brained lately...

Wanda..... said...

So enjoyed the video!

George said...

Thank you for a wonderful 'A' post. The video is excellent.

The Weaver of Grass said...

This is wonderful Wil = I hope our coming Olympics can prduce something as good.

Arkansas Patti said...

My ISP is so slow that I couldn't watch the whole video but what I saw was wondeful.
I really feel a kinship to the Australian history. Similar to ours.

photowannabe said...

A very stirring memory Wil. Thank you for sharing all the words with us.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello Reader Wil...it's good to see you here on ABC Wednesday, which I just joined again after a few years off! I remember the Australian opening ceremonies...wonderful. And I'm looking forward to the London ones in a few days.

Also, I noticed those beautiful Chagalls in your sidebar and spent a little while looking at all of them.

ChrisJ said...

We spent only a few days in Australia. How much can you see of this great land in such a short time? But we loved what we saw and have several very good friends there as well as one cousin.

Unknown said...

Love the lines and I am also reminded of "Land Down Under" by Men at work...

PhenoMenon, ABCW Team

Kay said...

Stirring is an excellent word to describe this song. I love it! What a wonderful thought to see everyone singing it together.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love the music video and the lyrics is so meaningful.

Aero 360's Arrows
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team.

Hildred said...

Wonderful song, - I knew so many great Australian boys who came to learn to fly in Canada before going overseas during World War 2. A fine tribute.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Thank you for posting both the video and the lyrics. I do not remember watching the opening of the games in 2000, and this gave me a taste of the land and its history. The words and music sent a small shiver of understanding along my spine.

A Colorful World said...

Neat post, Wil! And thank you for clarifying the POW question. I can't imagine what you and others went through and I have the greatest respect for you! I have not seen the Town Called Alice, but I will look for it.

busanalayali said...

articles are very interesting for me, I hope always to get the information from this web...toko baju muslim

Indrani said...

Hearing this for the first time. Very beautifully clipped.

Cloudia said...

Lovely indeed, Wil !



Warm Aloha
to you from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>

> < } } ( ° >

Jenn Jilks said...

Australia! WOW!
Greetings from Cottage Country!

Vicki Lane said...

What a powerful song! Thank you for posting it, Wil!

A Colorful World said...

Wanted to say a little more---This is an incredible song! Yes, that must have been awe-inspiring hearing it sung by so many different Australians at the games in 2000....now the torch has been passed. But, they have the memories of not only their heritage, but also that day in time for the athletes, seen by all the world. Wonderful video as well!