Wednesday 7 November 2007

About marriage and divorce...


~Be a nice person, be a good person~ ~Dalai Lama~
2007-Nov-7 - About marriage and divorce...






And if Christianity is to survive as a dynamic faith and not die of obdurate "static-ness", they'll do so again. The most likely issues where they'll likely eventually give in to common sense are the ideas of women's equality in marriage and to accept same-sex marriage.


I copied this from Libertine's post, because I absolutely agree with this statement!
We cannot take the bible literally as a truth which we have to apply to this day and age. We live in a totally different world compared to that of 2000 years ago. Apart from that we live in a western world and have developped into free independant human beings.
I am a christian, at least I try to be one, but I believe that divorce is sometimes necessary in the cases yoy mentioned: abuse( physically or verbally). Jesus said:" who shall put away his wife,except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery and who marries her which is put away commits adultery" At that time women had no right to leave their husbands for the reasons you mentioned, and Jesus was a man of that time and thought like the people of that time. In this day and age he would say it differently. What is meant by "What God has joined together let no man put
asunder"? I think a lot of marriages are not made in "Heaven

7 comments:

Patty said...

Amen to that, not all marriages are made in heaven. And even the best ones have their ups and downs.

Reader Wil said...

Hi Patty, my marriage had its ups and downs as well, but we survived and we were married for 36 years.
You should see the comments on my Dutch blog about the bible etc.Very difficult to explain that the biblical laws were made for nomads in a desert and not for western people.

Anonymous said...

I see my better half has beat me here. I agree with her on everything, well almost everything. I think she gives more than I give and for that reason we have been husband and wife for more than 52 years.

I really do not think marriage means anything these days. It is just a formality to jump in bed legally and still be welcomed in church.

There are always ups and downs and eyes that wander but the idea of being one until death us do part should still mean that.

I also agree with you 100% on the trials and tribulations of trying to make a wrecked marriage work when beatings, drugs, and drunkenness is involved. I don't think trying to solve those problems makes a marriage healthy.

By the way, you can go to my http://brookvilleohiophoto.blogspot.com blog which is the popular one and leave comments there too. The one you were on is a kind of experimental blog and not many know about it so the comments are few and far between.

Or, you might like going to my website. It is filled with a selection of photos and you can also leave comments there.

I have been working on my website and just added horses. It is at oldmanlincoln.com
and I think you will like it should you decide to go there.

Libertine said...

I'm glad that my words inspired an entry for you.

Patty said...

Wil, I just realized from reading your other blog, this is a photo of you and your husband on your wedding day. How marvelous. Abe and I ran off and got married at a justice of the peace, we don't really have any wedding photos. That was July 12, 1955. I was almost 19 and he was almost 21. That's been one heck of a long time ago, but yet it hasn't.

Reader Wil said...

Hi Will, yes religion is one of the subjects which cause a lot of irritation. I often think that religion is used to make life as difficult as possible, whereas it should be a means to comfort and love each other and to enjoy everything the good Lord has given us. All those people who want to play the martyr are stupid.
Anyway it was a good post, Will

Reader Wil said...

Yes Patty it was our weddingday. I was almost 30 and Jaap, my husband was 37 1/2. I had had some friends before him and he had been engaged to be married.
Your weddingday must have been very exciting to elope with Abe.My husband was a very caring, loving man, but from time to time he suffered from depressions and delusions,which made him scared that anything should happen to us. He suffered from schizophrenia, but when he took his medication everything was fine and he was happy again and so were we.He was never violent or aggressive always kind and patient.I miss him. Tomorrow is the day of his death.